Tuesday 28 November 2017

Chapter Five, Task 1, Wonderful Whip Stitch

Sample 1

Free motion whip stitch with feed dogs down and 100 needle. Polyester thread upper spool, sewn on orange cotton fabric with red Rayon 40 in the loosened bobbin with a tension set to 5 circling right and left for the first two samples left and right.

The bottom two samples are sewn directly onto the calico sample page background.
The left sample using Coates thread on top and Rayon 40 turquoise bobbin thread.
Meandering line left to right.

Right sample varieagated 100% cotton on top using the same bobbin then changing to yellow Rayon 40 and finally a gold metallic thread, bobbin tension 5.


Sample 2

Black sample page.
Top left;
I loosened the bobbin tension even more and used varieagated thread in the top 100% cotton and Rayon 40 in the bobbin staying with the same tension 6.
The top right I changed to a metallic thread in the top and the tension was very tight - I loosened the tension in the last lower section to 5.
The third section was very loose indeed underneath - I had a break and returned the next day to finish this page with little success. I moved onto the final section and changed the thread to metallic in the top and bottom. Sewed very slowly to produce this tight finish.



Sample 3

For this sample I used purple satin on a calico and felt background. Dividing the page into 4 sections and using a running stitch for the top two sections and 100% varieagated thread top and bottom with normal tension which on my machine is number 4. I had as usual tested the tension on a similar piece before beginning to get the tension right. When using cotton on the top and the bobbin it sews really well with tension 4.

For the lower two sections I set the machine to zig zag and keeping everything else the same tried vermicelli variation of whip stitch which worked well until the bobbin ran out. I changed the colour and finished the section with whip stitch. The last section there were no changes. 

Sample 4

This is an example of my pre work sampler page to test for tension.

Sample 5

Black calico and felt sample page. 100% cotton varieagated thread in the top and Rayon 40 Yellow bobbin. Needle 100. Feed dogs down and free machine foot on. Set to running stitch circling and travelling very quickly with my hands in a fast whipping motion to create this.

The pink thread is Rayon 40

The varieagated thread is Rayon 40

The tension is set to 6 and I am happy with this page.

                   

Sample 6

Sewn directly onto the calcio and felt page using varieagated 100% cotton thread top and bottom.
Tension remained the same at 6. The top two samples are running stitch and the bottom left is zag zag stitch.
The fourth section bottom right was the same thread with zig zag with the feed dogs up and a normal foot on (2) keeping the same settings and the same loosened bobbin. I experimented with various rows of running stitch, zig zag and satin stitch. I really loved this sample.

Notes of my hours per Task and Chapter - I have the daily log on my file.


No comments:

Post a Comment